Diaries/Journals and Autobiography

Subject CWRI20011 (2010)

Note: This is an archived Handbook entry from 2010.

Credit Points: 12.50
Level: 2 (Undergraduate)
Dates & Locations:

This subject has the following teaching availabilities in 2010:

Semester 2, Parkville - Taught on campus.
Pre-teaching Period Start not applicable
Teaching Period not applicable
Assessment Period End not applicable
Last date to Self-Enrol not applicable
Census Date not applicable
Last date to Withdraw without fail not applicable

On Campus

Timetable can be viewed here. For information about these dates, click here.
Time Commitment: Contact Hours: 2.5 2.5-hour of seminars/workshops per week
Total Time Commitment: 102
Prerequisites: Completion of at least 12.5 pts of first year creative writing or one of the Fcaulty of Arts' Interdisciplinary Foundation (IDF) subjects.
Corequisites: None
Recommended Background Knowledge: 106-105 Creative Writing: Ideas and Practice
Non Allowed Subjects: 106-365 Diaries/Journals and Autobiography
Core Participation Requirements: For the purposes of considering request for Reasonable Adjustments under the Disability Standards for Education (Cwth 2005), and Students Experiencing Academic Disadvantage Policy, academic requirements for this subject are articulated in the Subject Description, Subject Objectives, Generic Skills and Assessment Requirements of this entry. The University is dedicated to provide support to those with special requirements. Further details on the disability support scheme can be found at the 3Disability Liaison Unit website: 4http://www.services.unimelb.edu.au/disability/


Dr Anthony Birch


Tony Birch


Subject Overview:

This subject explores a variety of writers" diaries/journals and autobiographies from various periods and cultures including contemporary Australian examples. Students will read theoretical texts, including autobiography as a critique of culture and literary criticism as autobiography. The subject will involve applied writing in workshops including exercises in various styles and approaches to autobiography.


Students who successfully complete this subject will:

  • be able to relate their written work to historical developments in life writing and related forms;
  • devise, draft and develop a writing project with an introduction relating their work to theoretical and historical reading;
  • demonstrate a wide and close reading of a variety of relevant texts with an emphasis on contemporary writers;
  • relate their creative work to issues raised in historical, critical and theoretical texts of commentary.
Assessment: An essay of 1000 words which engages with one of the major theoretical considerations within the field of autobiography 20% (due in week 8), a Reading Journal which reflects on weekly class exercises and readings 30% (due during the examination period), and a piece of the student's own autobiographical writing totalling 3000 words 50% (due at the end of semester). Regular attendance and participation in tutorials and workshops is required. Students are advised to consult the following web address for details of assessment penalties which apply to this subject http://www.services.unimelb.edu.au/policy/assessment/policy/penalties.html.
Prescribed Texts:

A subject reader will be available from the University Bookshop

Breadth Options:

This subject potentially can be taken as a breadth subject component for the following courses:

You should visit learn more about breadth subjects and read the breadth requirements for your degree, and should discuss your choice with your student adviser, before deciding on your subjects.

Fees Information: Subject EFTSL, Level, Discipline & Census Date
Generic Skills:

Students who successfully complete this subject will:

  • access a broad range of resource material, including traditional text and electronic material;
  • have demonstrated advanced communication skills;
  • be able to work successfully with peers;
  • be able to demonstrate the ability and self-confidence to comprehend complex structural and organisational concepts.
Notes: Students who have undertaken 106-365 are not eligible to enrol in this subject. This subject can be credited to a major in Creative Writing in either the Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Ceative Arts.
Related Course(s): Bachelor of Arts(Media and Communications)
Bachelor of Creative Arts
Diploma in Creative Arts
Graduate Diploma in Creative Arts
Related Majors/Minors/Specialisations: Creative Writing
Creative Writing
Creative Writing
Creative Writing Major

Download PDF version.