Note: This is an archived Handbook entry from 2016.
|Dates & Locations:|| |
This subject is not offered in 2016.
|Time Commitment:||Contact Hours: 50 hours: three x 1-hour lectures per week, and 14 hours of tutorials and seminars across the semester. |
Total Time Commitment:
Study Period Commencement:
|Recommended Background Knowledge:|| |
|Non Allowed Subjects:||
Students who have completed second year level subjects in Integrative Human Physiology or Integrated Human Structure & Function or their equivalents can not take this subject.
|Core Participation Requirements:||
For the purposes of considering request for Reasonable Adjustments under the Disability Standards for Education (Cwth 2005), and Student Support and Engagement Policy, academic requirements for this subject are articulated in the Subject Overview, Learning Outcomes, Assessment and Generic Skills sections of this entry.
It is University policy to take all reasonable steps to minimise the impact of disability upon academic study, and reasonable adjustments will be made to enhance a student's participation in the University's programs. Students who feel their disability may impact on meeting the requirements of this subject are encouraged to discuss this matter with a Faculty Student Adviser and Student Equity and Disability Support: http://services.unimelb.edu.au/disability
Dr Charles Sevigny
Ms Lesley Robinson
This unit provides an overview of physiology - the integrative study of normal body function. It has a particular focus on homeostasis and the neural and endocrine control of the cardiovascular, respiratory, renal, muscular, gastrointestinal and reproductive systems. The subject considers both human physiology and the powerful insights derived from comparative animal physiology.
Upon completion of this unit, students should:
Two 50 min intra-semester tests (30%), written tasks associated with tutorials and seminars – 4000 words total (20%) and 2 hr written examination in final examination period (50%)
|Prescribed Texts:|| |
Silverthorn, D.U. Human Physiology: An Integrated Approach 5th Ed., 2010 - Pearson
|Breadth Options:|| |
This subject is not available as a breadth subject.
|Fees Information:||Subject EFTSL, Level, Discipline & Census Date|
Students should develop and enhance skills related to problem solving, team work, critical analysis of scientific literature and written and oral communication of scientific concepts.
Download PDF version.