Note: This is an archived Handbook entry from 2015.
|Dates & Locations:|| |
This subject is not offered in 2015.
|Time Commitment:||Contact Hours: 1 x 2 hour lecture per week; 1 x 2 hour tutorial per week |
Total Time Commitment:
Admission into a course at the Melbourne School of Design.
|Recommended Background Knowledge:||None|
|Non Allowed Subjects:||None|
|Core Participation Requirements:||
For the purposes of considering request for Reasonable Adjustments under the Disability Standards for Education (Cwth 2005), and Student Support and Engagement Policy, academic requirements for this subject are articulated in the Subject Overview, Learning Outcomes, Assessment and Generic Skills sections of this entry.
It is University policy to take all reasonable steps to minimise the impact of disability upon academic study, and reasonable adjustments will be made to enhance a student's participation in the University's programs. Students who feel their disability may impact on meeting the requirements of this subject are encouraged to discuss this matter with a Faculty Student Adviser and Student Equity and Disability Support: http://services.unimelb.edu.au/disability
Environments and Design Student Centre
Ground Floor, Baldwin Spencer (building 113)
This subject explores how architecture in Asia and other Non-Western contexts has been shaped by spatial and political histories, cultural heritage and social legacies; and the contributions made by the first generation of architects to their newly independent nations. In doing so it engages with pre-colonial and colonial periods; nationalism and the Cold War; and the late capitalist and neo-liberal stages of globalization. The objective of this subject is to gain a comprehensive view of history through the lens of the non-Western built environment, its discourses and critiques as it developed against or in parallel with Euro-American Modernism. This subject provides a body of knowledge on history, culture and politics and their relevance for architecture which will be useful for students hoping to practice in Asia. Topics include; vernacular architecture, pre-colonial and colonial cities, museum design and exhibition culture, capitol buildings and capital cities, environmental sustainability, war and commemoration, heritage conservation and the aesthetics of globalization. Readings are drawn from interdisciplinary sources including architectural and urban history, geography, cultural studies and anthropology
Weekly readings - a short one paragraph summary of readings and presentation of readings by a student at the weekly tutorial, 500 words, 10%, due specified week.
Five page outline with bibliography due week 6 (30%), as part of a 4000 word essay (inclusive of references) (50%) due during exam period, 4000 words (total 80%).
Students presentations on essay topics, 500 words, 10%, due week 12.
Minimum attendance of 80% of classes, hurdle requirement.
|Prescribed Texts:|| |
|Breadth Options:|| |
This subject is not available as a breadth subject.
|Fees Information:||Subject EFTSL, Level, Discipline & Census Date|
Master of Architecture |
Master of Architecture
Master of Urban and Cultural Heritage
200 point Master of Architecture |
300 point Master of Architecture
Melbourne School of Design multidisciplinary elective subjects
Download PDF version.