Note: This is an archived Handbook entry from 2013.
|Dates & Locations:|| |
This subject is not offered in 2013.
|Time Commitment:||Contact Hours: 2 |
Total Time Commitment:
Admission to the postgraduate certificate or diploma in Publishing and Communications, Master of Publishing and Communications, Master of Creative Writing, Publishing and Communications
|Recommended Background Knowledge:|| |
|Non Allowed Subjects:|| |
|Core Participation Requirements:||
For the purposes of considering request for Reasonable Adjustments under the disability Standards for Education (Cwth 2005), and Students Experiencing Academic Disadvantage Policy, academic requirements for this subject are articulated in the Subject Description, Subject Objectives, Generic Skills and Assessment Requirements of this entry.
The University is dedicated to provide support to those with special requirements. Further details on the disability support scheme can be found at the Disability Liaison Unit website: http://www.services.unimelb.edu.au/disability/
This subject introduces students to the aesthetics and practice of design and print production. It outlines the underlying principles of publishing design and page layout; the placement and flow of text within a visual field, the characteristics of readable type, and the interrelationship of images and text. Through reference to the history of printing, this subject will extend students' understanding of the impact of changing technologies on typography, graphic design and production processes, enabling them to develop a critical awareness of current trends in the field. Students will gain practical experience and skills in creating documents in a desktop publishing environment using industry-standard software. On successfully completing this subject, students will have improved their visual literacy, established a broad working knowledge of desktop publishing and print processes, gained an ability to appraise the visual and technical qualities of printed works, and understanding of the respective roles editors and designers play in print production.
Presentation Materials totaling 1000 words 20% (due mid-semester), in-class Production Proofing test of 1 hour totaling 1000 words 20% (conducted late semester), Book Desktop Publishing project totaling 3000 words 60% (due in the examination period). Students are required to attend a minimum of 80% (or 10 out of 12) classes in order to qualify to have their written work assessed. Any student who fails to meet this hurdle without valid reason will not be eligible to pass the subject. All required written work must be submitted in order to pass the subject. Essays submitted after the due date without an extension will be penalised 2% per day. Essays submitted after two weeks of the assessment due date without a formally approved application for special consideration or an extension will only be marked on a pass/fail basis if accepted.
A bibliography of suggested further reading, and links to relevant articles and commentary will be made available on the subject LMS.
|Breadth Options:|| |
This subject is not available as a breadth subject.
|Fees Information:||Subject EFTSL, Level, Discipline & Census Date|
This subject is only available to students enrolled in the Publishing and Communications program
Master of Creative Writing, Publishing and Editing |
Postgraduate Certificate in Arts (Editing and Communications)
Postgraduate Diploma in Arts (Editing and Communications)
100 Point Master of Journalism |
100 Point Master of Publishing and Communications
150 Point Master of Journalism
150 Point Master of Publishing and Communications
150 point program - full time over 18 months
200 Point Master of Journalism
200 Point Master of Publishing and Communications
200 point program - full time over 18 months
200 point program - full time over 24 months
Download PDF version.