Note: This is an archived Handbook entry from 2013.
|Dates & Locations:|| |
This subject is not offered in 2013.
|Time Commitment:||Contact Hours: A 1 hour lecture and a 1.5 hour seminar per week |
Total Time Commitment:
2.5contact hours/week , 4.5 additional hours/week. Total of 7 hours per week.
JAPN10004/JAPN20014/JAPN30008 Japanese 6.
|Recommended Background Knowledge:|| |
|Non Allowed Subjects:||
Students who have successfully completed Japanese 8, Variation in Japanese Language, Japanese Through the Media, Reading Japanese Literature are not eligible to enrol in this subject. See subject notes below.
|Core Participation Requirements:||
For the purposes of considering request for Reasonable Adjustments under the disability Standards for Education (Cwth 2005), and Students Experiencing Academic Disadvantage Policy, academic requirements for this subject are articulated in the Subject Description, Subject Objectives, Generic Skills and Assessment Requirements of this entry.The University is dedicated to provide support to those with special requirements. Further details on the disability support scheme can be found at the Disability Liaison Unit website: http://www.services.unimelb.edu.au/disability/
Dr Etsuko Toyoda email@example.com
This subject aims to advance learners' Japanese acquisition with a focus on the grammatical aspects of the Japanese language. The subject asks students to re-think the rules they were taught at earlier stages of their Japanese learning in terms of how they function in real Japanese conversation and writing. Students explore Japanese expressions in different situations and learn grammatical functions in communication. They are also given opportunities to develop 'language sensitivity' by deepening their comprehension of language use in various situations. Students who complete this subject should gain better control of the language and greater knowledge about how grammar develops and regulates language use in actual situations.
Class participation 10%, written work totalling 1600 words 40% (due throughout the semester) and a final 2-hour examination 50% (due during the examination period).
Class attendance is required for this subject; if you do not attend a minimum of 80% of classes without an approved exemption you will not be eligible for a pass in this subject. Assessment submitted late without an approved extension will be penalised at 10% per day. In-class tasks missed without approval will not be marked. All pieces of written work must be submitted to pass this subject.
|Prescribed Texts:|| |
Materials supplied by the Institute.
|Recommended Texts:|| |
|Breadth Options:|| |
This subject potentially can be taken as a breadth subject component for the following courses:
You should visit learn more about breadth subjects and read the breadth requirements for your degree, and should discuss your choice with your student adviser, before deciding on your subjects.
|Fees Information:||Subject EFTSL, Level, Discipline & Census Date|
This subject is for students completing a major in Japanese and it is recommended to be taken concurrently with Japanese 8.
Diploma in Modern Languages (Japanese) |
Download PDF version.