Criminology and Sociology Internship

Subject CRIM90006 (2013)

Note: This is an archived Handbook entry from 2013.

Credit Points: 12.50
Level: 9 (Graduate/Postgraduate)
Dates & Locations:

This subject is not offered in 2013.

Time Commitment: Contact Hours: Three 2-hour seminars are scheduled in Semester 1, and a full day seminar is scheduled in Semester 2. The equivalent of six hours per week to a maximum of 150 hours with the agency. It is anticipated that a further 20 hours will be required to set up the placement with the agency prior to commencement. Up to seven hourly seminars will be run throughout the year
Total Time Commitment: Not available

Students are required to apply for an internship placement. Application form:



Recommended Background Knowledge:

Criminology at Undergraduate level

Non Allowed Subjects:

191-536 Criminology and Sociology Internship

Core Participation Requirements:

For the purposes of considering request for Reasonable Adjustments under the disability Standards for Education (Cwth 2005), and Students Experiencing Academic Disadvantage Policy, academic requirements for this subject are articulated in the Subject Description, Subject Objectives, Generic Skills and Assessment Requirements of this entry.The University is dedicated to provide support to those with special requirements. Further details on the disability support scheme can be found at the Disability Liaison Unit website:


Dr. Lea Campbell:

Subject Overview:

This subject is designed to provide students with hands-on professional research experience in the context of the everyday operations of a social/criminal justice or community-based agency. The internship takes place over two semesters and constitutes a structured and supervised student research consultancy rather than work experience. It provides students with the opportunity to employ formal research skills such as reviewing literature, collecting and analysing data and writing reports or portfolios. It also enables students to appreciate the practical applications of criminological or sociological theory, explore the criminological and sociological significance of social categories (such as gender or ethnicity), enhance skills of listening, observation, and cooperation and form relevant professional contacts.

  • have an advanced understanding of the relevant knowledge base in the specialist area of the placement agency.
  • have the ability to evaluate and synthesize the research and professional literature in this specialist area.
  • have a developed understanding of skills needed to negotiate a research project in a professional context.
  • have a developing appreciation of how to operate professionally in the workplace.

An essay or portfolio of 8000 words (80%) as an agency report is due at the end of the second semester of study. Supervisor's report will make up the remaining 20%

Hurdle Requirement: A 15-minute oral presentation will constitute a hurdle requirement of the assessment, scheduled during the second semester of study.

Assessment that is submitted after the due date and up to 10 working days late without an approved extension will be marked on a pass/fail basis only. Assessment that is submitted later than 10 working days will not be accepted or marked. In-class tasks missed without approval will not be marked. All pieces of written work must be submitted to pass this subject.

Prescribed Texts:

A subject handbook will be available in the first seminar.

Breadth Options:

This subject is not available as a breadth subject.

Fees Information: Subject EFTSL, Level, Discipline & Census Date
Generic Skills:
  • have an advanced understanding of the relevant knowledge base in the specialist area.
  • have the ability to evaluate and synthesise the research and professional literature in the specialist area.
  • have well-developed problem-solving skills in the specialist area.
  • have significant capacity to articulate knowledge and understanding in oral and written presentations.
  • have a capacity to engage where appropriate with issues in contemporary society.

Students wishing to take CRIM90006 Criminology and Sociology Internship must enrol in this subject across two consecutive semesters.

Students must lodge their intention to enrol in the Criminology and Sociology Internship to the subject coordinator during the semester prior to enrolment by completing an online application form:

Related Majors/Minors/Specialisations: 100 Point Master of Criminology
150 Point Master of Criminology
200 Point Master of Criminology
Socio-Legal Studies
Socio-legal Studies

Download PDF version.