Computer Science Research Project

Subject COMP60003 (2013)

Note: This is an archived Handbook entry from 2013.

Credit Points: 25
Level: 6 (Graduate/Postgraduate)
Dates & Locations:

This subject has the following teaching availabilities in 2013:

Semester 2, Parkville - Taught on campus.
Pre-teaching Period Start not applicable
Teaching Period not applicable
Assessment Period End not applicable
Last date to Self-Enrol not applicable
Census Date not applicable
Last date to Withdraw without fail not applicable

Timetable can be viewed here. For information about these dates, click here.
Time Commitment: Contact Hours: Students are required to attend regular meetings with their supervisor, and to participate in the academic activities of the Department of Computing and Information Systems.
Total Time Commitment:

Students are required to undertake approximately 360 hours of investigative work, 20 hours per week over an 18 week period.


Enrolment into this subject requires the approval of the course coordinator.

Study Period Commencement:
Credit Points:
Not offered in 2013
Not offered in 2013
Not offered in 2013

The following subject must be completed before a final mark for the Research Project subject sequence will be determined:

Study Period Commencement:
Credit Points:
Not offered in 2013
Recommended Background Knowledge:
Study Period Commencement:
Credit Points:
Not offered in 2013

Or equivalent, and study at the second-year University level in Mathematics/Statistics.

Non Allowed Subjects:


Core Participation Requirements:

For the purposes of considering request for Reasonable Adjustments under the Disability Standards for Education (Cwth 2005), and Student Support and Engagement Policy, academic requirements for this subject are articulated in the Subject Overview, Learning Outcomes, Assessment and Generic Skills sections of this entry.

It is University policy to take all reasonable steps to minimise the impact of disability upon academic study, and reasonable adjustments will be made to enhance a student's participation in the University's programs. Students who feel their disability may impact on meeting the requirements of this subject are encouraged to discuss this matter with a Faculty Student Adviser and Student Equity and Disability Support:


Assoc Prof Simon Milton


Dr Aaron Harwood


Subject Overview:

Students undertake a research investigation under the supervision of members of the Department of Computing and Information Systems academic staff. A mark for the subject will not be awarded until a total of 75 points of Research Project enrolment has been completed.


Upon completion of the sequence of Research Project subjects, a graduate of the MSc(CS) should:

  • Have attained research maturity, including the ability to independently carry out a research survey, and plan, execute, interpret and report on a computational experiment OR demonstrate mastery of the mathematical and logical techniques required for research in theoretical Computer Science;
  • Have the ability to communicate Computer Science research.

A written thesis of approximately 25,000 words (contributing 90% of the grade for the subject) and an oral presentation of their project work prior to submission of the thesis (contributing the remaining 10% of the grade). The thesis will be examined internally within the Department of Computing and Information Systems.

Prescribed Texts:


Breadth Options:

This subject is not available as a breadth subject.

Fees Information: Subject EFTSL, Level, Discipline & Census Date
Generic Skills:

On completion of the sequence of Research Project subjects, students should have developed the following generic skills:

  • Have the ability to demonstrate advanced independent critical enquiry, analysis and reflection;
  • Have a strong sense of intellectual integrity and the ethics of scholarship;
  • Have in-depth knowledge of their specialist discipline(s);
  • Reach a high level of achievement in writing, project activities, problem-solving and communication;
  • Be critical and creative thinkers, with an aptitude for continued self-directed learning;
  • Be able to examine critically, synthesise and evaluate knowledge across a broad range of disciplines;
  • Have a set of flexible and transferable skills for different types of employment.
Related Course(s): Master of Science (Computer Science)

Download PDF version.