Note: This is an archived Handbook entry from 2012.
|Dates & Locations:|| |
This subject is not offered in 2012.
|Time Commitment:||Contact Hours: 1 x 1.5 hour seminar and 1 x 1 hour tutorial per week |
Total Time Commitment:
2.5 contact hours/week, 6 additional hours/week/ Total of 8.5 hours per week.
French 4 or French 6 or French Language and Culture 1B or French Intermediate Language & Culture B or equivalent.
|Recommended Background Knowledge:|| |
|Non Allowed Subjects:||
Students who have completed 116-022 Spoken French: Theory and Practice or Topics in French Linguistics at Level 3 may not enrol in this subject.
|Core Participation Requirements:||
For the purposes of considering request for Reasonable Adjustments under the disability Standards for Education (Cwth 2005), and Students Experiencing Academic Disadvantage Policy, academic requirements for this subject are articulated in the Subject Description, Subject Objectives, Generic Skills and Assessment Requirements of this entry.The University is dedicated to provide support to those with special requirements. Further details on the disability support scheme can be found at the Disability Liaison Unit website: http://www.services.unimelb.edu.au/disability/
This subject is designed to introduce students to French linguistics, with the focus on varieties of French both within and outside France. Topics will vary, and may include geographical variation, for example the importance of French as a symbol of identity in Quebec, or the complexities of multilingualism in Mauritius and the structure and origins of French-based creoles. and social variation and register, for example, features of the French spoken by young people in France, and differences between colloquial spoken and formal written forms of the language. The subject will be taught in French.
One 60-minute written test or one in class presentation (during semester) 30%, practical exercises totaling 1000 words (during semester) 20%, and an essay of 2000 words in French (due at the end of semester) 50%.
This subject has the following hurdle requirements:
Assessment submitted late without an approved extension will be penalised at 10% per day and in-class tasks missed without approval will not be marked.
|Breadth Options:|| |
This subject potentially can be taken as a breadth subject component for the following courses:
You should visit learn more about breadth subjects and read the breadth requirements for your degree, and should discuss your choice with your student adviser, before deciding on your subjects.
|Fees Information:||Subject EFTSL, Level, Discipline & Census Date|
Diploma in Modern Languages (French) |
Download PDF version.