Note: This is an archived Handbook entry from 2012.
|Dates & Locations:|| |
This subject has the following teaching availabilities in 2012:Semester 2, Parkville - Taught on campus.
Timetable can be viewed here. For information about these dates, click here.
|Time Commitment:||Contact Hours: 2 |
Total Time Commitment:
Admission to the Bachelor of Arts Honours (Creative Writing), postgraduate certificate in arts and postgraduate diploma in arts (creative writing), or the Master of Creative Writing, Publishing and Editing.
|Recommended Background Knowledge:|| |
Study Period Commencement:
Not offered in 2012
|Non Allowed Subjects:|| |
|Core Participation Requirements:||
For the purposes of considering request for Reasonable Adjustments under the disability Standards for Education (Cwth 2005), and Students Experiencing Academic Disadvantage Policy, academic requirements for this subject are articulated in the Subject Description, Subject Objectives, Generic Skills and Assessment Requirements of this entry.
The University is dedicated to provide support to those with special requirements. Further details on the disability support scheme can be found at the Disability Liaison Unit website: http://www.services.unimelb.edu.au/disability/
CoordinatorDr Amanda Johnson
This subject will introduce students to advanced dialogic techniques in relation to a range of genres including short story, novel and script.
The exploration of the mechanics of dialogue will be cast against the historical evolution of modern and postmodern modes of dialogue so that students will also understand how dialogue has been shaped by genre and the socio-political and cultural contexts from which key genres have arisen. For assessment, students will develop practical work comprising a short script, a full-length short story or a series of ‘short’ short stories. They will also produce a comparative critique of modes of dialogue used by authors included in the subject reader. They will workshop their creative project, participate in improvisational exercises, and provide written and verbal editorial feedback to fellow students.
Students who complete this subject should be able to:
Comparative critique of two writers working in the same genre, 1500 words (20%) due mid-semester; class paper, equivalent to 500 words (10%) presented during the semester; creative work of either short fiction or script, 3000 words (70%) due at the end of the semester. Attendance and participation are a requirement and students must attend a minimum of 80% of classes in order to submit their written work for assessment. All written assessment must be completed in order to pass the subject. Assessment submitted late without an approved extension or special consideration will be penalised at the rate of 2% per day.
A subject reader will be available from the University Bookshop.
|Breadth Options:|| |
This subject is not available as a breadth subject.
|Fees Information:||Subject EFTSL, Level, Discipline & Census Date|
Students who successfully complete this subject will:
Creative Writing |
Download PDF version.