Health Economics 1

Subject POPH90094 (2011)

Note: This is an archived Handbook entry from 2011.

Credit Points: 12.50
Level: 9 (Graduate/Postgraduate)
Dates & Locations:

This subject has the following teaching availabilities in 2011:

Semester 1, Parkville - Taught on campus.
Pre-teaching Period Start not applicable
Teaching Period not applicable
Assessment Period End not applicable
Last date to Self-Enrol not applicable
Census Date not applicable
Last date to Withdraw without fail not applicable


Timetable can be viewed here. For information about these dates, click here.
Time Commitment: Contact Hours: One 2-hour lecture per week.
Total Time Commitment: 120 hours


Corequisites: None
Recommended Background Knowledge: None
Non Allowed Subjects: None
Core Participation Requirements: For the purposes of considering request for Reasonable Adjustments under the Disability Standards for Education (Cwth 2005), and Students Experiencing Academic Disadvantage Policy, academic requirements for this subject are articulated in the Subject Description, Subject Objectives, Generic Skills and Assessment Requirements of this entry.
The University is dedicated to provide support to those with special requirements. Further details on the disability support scheme can be found at the Disability Liaison Unit website.


Dr Arthur Hsueh


Centre for Health Policy, Programs and Economics
Melbourne School of Population Health
Tel: +61 3 8344 0649


Academic Programs Office
Melbourne School of Population Health
Tel: +61 3 8344 9339
Fax: +61 3 8344 0824

Subject Overview: This subject provides a comprehensive introduction to micro-economics. It is suitable for students with no prior knowledge of economics. It paves the way for students to apply micro-economic concepts to the analysis of contemporary issues in public health and health care. Topics to be studied include the following:

• Introduction to economics and micro-economics,
• Introduction to health economics,
• The demand for health and health care,
• The supply of health manpower and services: doctors and hospitals,
• The market of health care,
• Market failure and the role of government in health care,
• The Australian health care system analysed from an economic perspective,
• Australia’s Medicare system analysed from an economic perspective.


Upon completion of this subject, students should be able to:

  • Describe the principles, concepts and theories underpinning health economics and their relevance to issues in health care policy (with a particular focus on public health),
  • Describe health issues and health policies from an economic perspective,
  • Appreciate and be familiar with economic theories and economic methods of analysis to the study of health issues and health policies.
Assessment: Four short-answer exercises of two pages each, with some questions involving calculations and diagrams, due in weeks 3, 5, 7 and 9: (7.5% each, 30% in total); an oral presentation of 10 minutes due week 11 and 12 (20%); an essay of 2,500 words due during the examination period (50%).
Prescribed Texts: Barbara Mcpake and Charles Normand, 2008 Health Economics – An international perspective, 2nd Edition, Routledge.

Students will have access to electronic copies of relevant readings on LMS.
Recommended Texts: None
Breadth Options:

This subject is not available as a breadth subject.

Fees Information: Subject EFTSL, Level, Discipline & Census Date
Generic Skills: Upon completion of this subject, students will have developed skills in:

  • Critical thinking and analysis,
  • Finding, evaluating and using relevant information,
  • Written communication,
  • Persuasion and argumentation.
Links to further information:

Related Course(s): Master of Public Health
Related Majors/Minors/Specialisations: Health Economics && Economic Evaluation
Health Program Evaluation
Public Health

Download PDF version.