Note: This is an archived Handbook entry from 2011.
|Dates & Locations:|| |
This subject is not offered in 2011.
|Time Commitment:||Contact Hours: 4 days of classes comprising lectures, seminars, class presentations and peer feedback, 9am-4pm on two consecutive weekends (dates TBC) |
Total Time Commitment: 120 hours
|Recommended Background Knowledge:||None|
|Non Allowed Subjects:||None|
|Core Participation Requirements:||None|
ContactFaculty of the VCA and Music Student Centre
Tel: +61 3 9685 9419
Fax: +61 3 9685 9358
|Subject Overview:||In this subject, students will gain an appreciation of the role of music in film and television, as well as the ways in which film and television affect our perception and appreciation of music. It takes an interdisciplinary approach to the topic, grounded in theories and methods drawn from musicology, ethnomusicology, popular music studies and media studies. It is especially intended for music educators and other practitioners who use film or television material in their work, or whose work might benefit from a deeper understanding of how and why music is used in film and television.|
|Objectives:||On completion of this subject, students should be able to: |
• Demonstrate a critical understanding of the role of music in film;
• Demonstrate familiarity with the characteristics of the sound-image relationship;
• Demonstrate an understanding of the role of technology in the development of music and film;
• Identify diverse types of film music;
• Develop skills in interdisciplinary research; and,
• Apply these skills to other areas of their professional practice.
|Assessment:||A class presentation of 1,500 words (30%); online database entries, totalling 1,000 words (20%), due one week after the final class; a 2,500-word essay (50%), due six weeks after the final class.|
|Prescribed Texts:||A reading list and an Endnote library of readings will be provided for this subject, with links to articles online. A reading pack will also be made available if required.|
|Breadth Options:|| |
This subject is not available as a breadth subject.
|Fees Information:||Subject EFTSL, Level, Discipline & Census Date|
|Generic Skills:||On completion of this subject students will have enhanced the following generic skills: |
• The capacity to apply new concepts to their critical interpretation of familiar and new information and experiences;
• The ability to produce scholarly writing.
• A capacity to use current technologies and assimilate the potential of emerging technologies to pursue knowledge and manage information in the study of music
• an enhanced ability to pursue knowledge in this area independently.
Master of Music Studies |
Master of Music Studies by Coursework(Performance/Teaching)
Download PDF version.