Note: This is an archived Handbook entry from 2011.
|Dates & Locations:|| |
This subject has the following teaching availabilities in 2011:Semester 1, Parkville - Taught on campus.
Timetable can be viewed here. For information about these dates, click here.
|Time Commitment:||Contact Hours: A 1 hour lecture and a 1.5 hour seminar per week |
Total Time Commitment: 4 contact hours/week , 4.5 additional hours/week. Total of 8.5 hours per week.
|Prerequisites:||JAPN10008/JAPN20008/JAPN30016 Japanese 2B.|
|Corequisites:||JAPN10003/JAPN20013/JAPN30007 Japanese 3A.|
|Recommended Background Knowledge:||None.|
|Non Allowed Subjects:||None.|
|Core Participation Requirements:||For the purposes of considering request for Reasonable Adjustments under the disability Standards for Education (Cwth 2005), and Students Experiencing Academic Disadvantage Policy, academic requirements for this subject are articulated in the Subject Description, Subject Objectives, Generic Skills and Assessment Requirements of this entry.The University is dedicated to provide support to those with special requirements. Further details on the disability support scheme can be found at the Disability Liaison Unit website: http://www.services.unimelb.edu.au/disability/|
CoordinatorDr Sayuki Machida
ContactDr Sayuki Machida firstname.lastname@example.org
This subject aims to provide students an overview of the current Japanese writing systems. The systems consist of three different scripts, hiragana , katakana, and kanji. The subject will provide opportunities to see kanji from a logographic viewpoints like signs and symbols. Students will become aware of the structural and functional characteristics of various words. They will also practise reading efficiently and writing accurately and appropriately. Students who complete this subject will gain knowledge of Japanese orthography and develop skills for appropriate and effective reading and writing.
Class participation 10%, written work totalling 1600 words 40% (due throughout the semester) and a final examination 50% (due during the examination period).
Class attendance is required for this subject; if you do not attend a minimum of 80% of classes without an approved exemption you will not be eligible for a pass in this subject. Assessment submitted late without an approved extension will be penalised at 10% per day. In-class tasks missed without approval will not be marked. All pieces of written work must be submitted to pass this subject.
|Prescribed Texts:|| |
Materials supplied by the Institute.
|Recommended Texts:|| |
|Breadth Options:|| |
This subject potentially can be taken as a breadth subject component for the following courses:
You should visit learn more about breadth subjects and read the breadth requirements for your degree, and should discuss your choice with your student adviser, before deciding on your subjects.
|Fees Information:||Subject EFTSL, Level, Discipline & Census Date|
|Notes:||Previously available as 110-437 Japanese Writing System. Students who have completed 110-216, 110-437, or subjects 110-450, 110-451 and 110-467 are not eligible to enrol in this subject. Available at 3rd-year for Beginners stream students and 2nd-year for Post-VCE stream students (optional).|
Diploma in Modern Languages (Japanese) |
Download PDF version.