Principles of Physiology

Subject PHYS90007 (2010)

Note: This is an archived Handbook entry from 2010.

Credit Points: 12.50
Level: 9 (Graduate/Postgraduate)
Dates & Locations:

This subject has the following teaching availabilities in 2010:

Semester 2, Parkville - Taught on campus.
Pre-teaching Period Start not applicable
Teaching Period not applicable
Assessment Period End not applicable
Last date to Self-Enrol not applicable
Census Date not applicable
Last date to Withdraw without fail not applicable

Timetable can be viewed here. For information about these dates, click here.
Time Commitment: Contact Hours: 50 hours: three x 1-hour lectures per week, and 14 hours of tutorials and seminars across the semester.
Total Time Commitment: 120 hours
Prerequisites: 600-501 Genes, Molecules & Cells
Corequisites: None
Recommended Background Knowledge: None
Non Allowed Subjects: Students who have completed second year level subjects in Integrative Human Physiology or Integrated Human Structure & Function or their equivalents can not take this subject.
Core Participation Requirements: It is University policy to take all reasonable steps to minimise the impact of disability upon academic study and reasonable steps will be made to enhance a student’s participation in the University’s programs. Students who feel their disability may impact upon their active and safe participation in a subject are encouraged to discuss this with the relevant subject coordinator and the Disability Liaison Unit.


Prof Mark Hargreaves


Subject Overview: This unit provides an overview of physiology - the integrative study of normal body function. It has a particular focus on homeostasis and the neural and endocrine control of the cardiovascular, respiratory, renal, muscular, gastrointestinal and reproductive systems. The subject considers both human physiology and the powerful insights derived from comparative animal physiology.

Upon completion of this unit, students should:

  • understand the neural and endocrine control organ systems and their involvement in specialised body functions;
  • comprehend how these system interact to maintain a constant internal environment (homeostasis);
  • have the capacity to integrate outputs from physiological and genomic research to further understand normal body function; and
  • appreciate the experimental bases of contemporary physiology and the lessons learned from comparative animal physiology.

Assessment: Two 50 min intra-semester tests (30%), written tasks associated with tutorials and seminars – 4000 words total (20%) and 2 hr written examination in final examination period (50%)
Prescribed Texts: Silverthorn, D.U. Human Physiology: An Integrated Approach (4th Ed.). Prentice Hall, 2007.
Breadth Options:

This subject is not available as a breadth subject.

Fees Information: Subject EFTSL, Level, Discipline & Census Date
Generic Skills: Students should develop and enhance skills related to problem solving, team work, critical analysis of scientific literature and written and oral communication of scientific concepts.

Download PDF version.