Special Research Subject A

Subject MULT40005 (2010)

Note: This is an archived Handbook entry from 2010.

Credit Points: 12.50
Level: 4 (Undergraduate)
Dates & Locations:

This subject has the following teaching availabilities in 2010:

Semester 1, Parkville - Taught on campus.
Pre-teaching Period Start not applicable
Teaching Period not applicable
Assessment Period End not applicable
Last date to Self-Enrol not applicable
Census Date not applicable
Last date to Withdraw without fail not applicable

Timetable can be viewed here. For information about these dates, click here.
Time Commitment: Contact Hours: 2 hours of seminars per week plus a film screening
Total Time Commitment: 2 contact hours/week, 8 additional hous/week. Total of 10 hours per week.
Prerequisites: Admission to the postgraduate diploma or fourth-year honours in French.
Corequisites: none
Recommended Background Knowledge: none
Non Allowed Subjects: none
Core Participation Requirements: For the purposes of considering requests for Reasonable Adjustments under the Disability Standards for Education (Cwth 2005), and Students Experiencing Academic Disadvantage Policy, academic requirements for this subject are articulated in the Subject Description, Subject Objectives, Generic Skills and Assessment Requirements for this entry.

The University is dedicated to provide support to those with special requirements. Further details on the disability support scheme can be found at the Disability Liaison Unit website: http://www.services.unimelb.edu.au/disability/


Dr Andrew Mcgregor



Subject Overview:

This subject is designed to allow students to develop their analytical and research skills in a particular area of French cinema. Students may choose to analyse a French film, the work of a French film director, French film criticism, a French film genre, or specific themes or theoretical issues in French cinema. Students will present their research in French in both oral and written form by means of class presentations, class discussions, online discussion forum contributions and essay writing.

  • demonstrate in-depth knowledge of a particular cultural or linguistic topic.
  • demonstrate the ability to analyse, and to report on their reading in a manner appropriate to the methodology adopted.
Assessment: One 30 minute class paper 30% (due during semester), contributions to online discussion forum totalling 1000 words 20% (due during semester), one research essay 50% (due at the end of semester)
Prescribed Texts:

Materials supplied by the department

Breadth Options:

This subject is not available as a breadth subject.

Fees Information: Subject EFTSL, Level, Discipline & Census Date
Generic Skills:
  • Communicating knowledge intelligibly and economically: through essay and assignment writing, tutorial discussion and class presentations.
  • Written communication: through essay and assignment preparation and writing.
  • Public speaking and confidence in self-expression: through tutorial participation and class presentations.
  • Attention to detail: through close reading and textual analysis, essay preparation and writing, and examination revision.
  • Time management and planning: through managing and organizing workloads for required and recommended reading, essay and assignment completion and revision for examinations.
Related Majors/Minors/Specialisations: French

Download PDF version.