Fundamentals of Service Science

Subject ISYS90068 (2010)

Note: This is an archived Handbook entry from 2010.

Credit Points: 12.50
Level: 9 (Graduate/Postgraduate)
Dates & Locations:

This subject has the following teaching availabilities in 2010:

January, Parkville - Taught on campus.
Pre-teaching Period Start not applicable
Teaching Period not applicable
Assessment Period End not applicable
Last date to Self-Enrol not applicable
Census Date not applicable
Last date to Withdraw without fail not applicable

Timetable can be viewed here. For information about these dates, click here.
Time Commitment: Contact Hours: 36 hours
Total Time Commitment: 120 hours
Prerequisites: None
Corequisites: None
Recommended Background Knowledge: None
Non Allowed Subjects: None
Core Participation Requirements: It is University policy to take all reasonable steps to minimise the impact of disability upon academic study and reasonable steps will be made to enhance a student’s participation in the University’s programs. Students who feel their disability may impact upon their active and safe participation in a subject are encouraged to discuss this with the relevant subject coordinator and the Disability Liaison Unit.


Dr Simon Milton



Subject Overview: This subject gives an overview of service science, which is the integration of ICT, management and service design/engineering, with the goal of improving service systems. Essentially the course takes a systems view of services and draws from several parent disciplines in an interdisciplinary way.

At the completion of the subject, students should be able to:

  • Describe the field of service science and explain how different disciplines contribute to service science;
  • Manage a service system;
  • Integrate service blueprinting and business process modelling; and
  • Describe a service system using ICT systems modeling techniques.
  • LINKS Simulation: an on-line group service operations management simulation where student groups make service management decisions every class in a simulated competitive environment.
    • 25% competitive quantitative score, 25% written notes and critical reflection about rationale behind decisions after each decision period thus totalling 50%.
  • Class participation 10%
  • Open Book 3-hour final exam held at the end of February 40%
Prescribed Texts: None. Readings will provided on-line.
Recommended Texts: None. Readings will provided on-line.
Breadth Options:

This subject is not available as a breadth subject.

Fees Information: Subject EFTSL, Level, Discipline & Census Date
Generic Skills: Students should have honed generic skills such as clear thinking, improved reading and writing, enhanced ability to work in a team of people, and presentation skills.

Download PDF version.