Note: This is an archived Handbook entry from 2009. Search for this in the current handbook
|Dates & Locations:|| |
This subject has the following teaching availabilities in 2009:Semester 2, - Taught on campus.
Timetable can be viewed here. For information about these dates, click here.
|Time Commitment:||Contact Hours: A 1-hour lecture and a 1.5-hour tutorial per week |
Total Time Commitment: 3 contact hours/week , 6 additional hours/week. Total of 8 hours per week.
|Prerequisites:||This subject is available for the Background Speakers (minimal literacy) stream of Chinese. First year students who have completed VCE Chinese as a second language, second language advance or equivalent should not enrol in this subject.|
|Recommended Background Knowledge:||None|
|Non Allowed Subjects:||None|
|Core Participation Requirements:||
For the purposes of considering request for Reasonable Adjustments under the Disability Standards for Education (Cwth 2005), and Student Support and Engagement Policy, academic requirements for this subject are articulated in the Subject Overview, Learning Outcomes, Assessment and Generic Skills sections of this entry.
It is University policy to take all reasonable steps to minimise the impact of disability upon academic study, and reasonable adjustments will be made to enhance a student's participation in the University's programs. Students who feel their disability may impact on meeting the requirements of this subject are encouraged to discuss this matter with a Faculty Student Adviser and Student Equity and Disability Support: http://services.unimelb.edu.au/disability
CoordinatorDr Shaoming Zhou
Dr Zhou Shaoming
|Subject Overview:||This is a multimedia subject, which will examine contemporary Chinese literature and film, focusing on major developments in the post-1978 era. The subject introduces students to current uses of the Chinese language through the study of contemporary film and literature. Students should enhance their reading and listening skills through experiencing colloquial and regional language use and also widen their ability to read scholarly language by perusing samples of textual and cinematic criticism.|
|Assessment:||Two essays of 500 words each, 20% (due mid-semester and at the end of semester), an essay of 1000 words 30% (due during the examination period) and continuous class work totalling 2000 words 50%.|
|Prescribed Texts:||Materials supplied by the Institute. |
|Breadth Options:|| |
This subject potentially can be taken as a breadth subject component for the following courses:
You should visit learn more about breadth subjects and read the breadth requirements for your degree, and should discuss your choice with your student adviser, before deciding on your subjects.
|Fees Information:||Subject EFTSL, Level, Discipline & Census Date|
|Notes:||Students who are eligible to enrol in or have completed the following subjects are not permitted to enrol in this subject: 110180, 110182 , CHIN10003 (Chinese 4A) and CHIN10004 (Chinese 4B) . Available as a 1st year subject for students who have completed their secondary education in a Chinese environment. Previously available as 110-431 Literature & Film in Contemporary China. Students who have completed 110-431 may not enrol in this subject.|
Diploma in Modern Languages (Chinese) |
Chinese Language |
Chinese Language Major
Download PDF version.