Note: This is an archived Handbook entry from 2009. Search for this in the current handbook
|Dates & Locations:|| |
This subject has the following teaching availabilities in 2009:Semester 1, - Taught on campus.
Timetable can be viewed here. For information about these dates, click here.
|Time Commitment:||Contact Hours: A 1 hour lecture and a 1.5 hour seminar per week |
Total Time Commitment: 4 contact hours/week , 4.5 additional hours/week. Total of 8.5 hours per week.
Japanese 2B 670-108, 110-242, 110-353
Japanese 3A 110-188, 670-240, 673-363
|Recommended Background Knowledge:||None|
|Non Allowed Subjects:||None|
|Core Participation Requirements:||
For the purposes of considering request for Reasonable Adjustments under the Disability Standards for Education (Cwth 2005), and Student Support and Engagement Policy, academic requirements for this subject are articulated in the Subject Overview, Learning Outcomes, Assessment and Generic Skills sections of this entry.
It is University policy to take all reasonable steps to minimise the impact of disability upon academic study, and reasonable adjustments will be made to enhance a student's participation in the University's programs. Students who feel their disability may impact on meeting the requirements of this subject are encouraged to discuss this matter with a Faculty Student Adviser and Student Equity and Disability Support: http://services.unimelb.edu.au/disability
CoordinatorDr Etsuko Toyoda
ContactDr Etsuko Toyoda
|Subject Overview:||This subject aims to give students an overview of current Japanese writing systems. Students will become aware of the structural and functional characteristics of various words. In class, students will be exposed to words and phrases that are written in different signs and symbols, and will be engaged in activities that focus on building knowledge of the structures and functions of words. They will also practise reading efficiently and writing accurately and appropriately. Students who complete this subject will gain knowledge of Japanese orthography and develop skills for appropriate and effective reading and writing.|
|Assessment:||Class participation 10%, written work totalling 1600 words 40% (due throughout the semester) and a final examination 50% (due during the examination period).|
|Prescribed Texts:||Materials supplied by the Institute,|
|Breadth Options:|| |
This subject potentially can be taken as a breadth subject component for the following courses:
You should visit learn more about breadth subjects and read the breadth requirements for your degree, and should discuss your choice with your student adviser, before deciding on your subjects.
|Fees Information:||Subject EFTSL, Level, Discipline & Census Date|
|Notes:||Previously available as 110-437 Japanese Writing System. Students who have completed 110-216, 110-437, or subjects 110-450, 110-451 and 110-467 are not eligible to enrol in this subject. Available at 3rd-year for Beginners stream students and 2nd-year for Post-VCE stream students (optional).|
Diploma in Modern Languages (Japanese) |
Download PDF version.