Diaries/Journals and Autobiography

Subject 106-249 (2009)

Note: This is an archived Handbook entry from 2009. Search for this in the current handbook

Credit Points: 12.50
Level: 2 (Undergraduate)
Dates & Locations:

This subject has the following teaching availabilities in 2009:

For information about these dates, click here.
Time Commitment: Contact Hours: 2.5-hours of seminars/workshops per week
Total Time Commitment: Not available
Prerequisites: Usually 12.5 pts of first year creative writing.
Corequisites: None
Recommended Background Knowledge: None
Non Allowed Subjects: None
Core Participation Requirements:

For the purposes of considering request for Reasonable Adjustments under the Disability Standards for Education (Cwth 2005), and Student Support and Engagement Policy, academic requirements for this subject are articulated in the Subject Overview, Learning Outcomes, Assessment and Generic Skills sections of this entry.

It is University policy to take all reasonable steps to minimise the impact of disability upon academic study, and reasonable adjustments will be made to enhance a student's participation in the University's programs. Students who feel their disability may impact on meeting the requirements of this subject are encouraged to discuss this matter with a Faculty Student Adviser and Student Equity and Disability Support: http://services.unimelb.edu.au/disability


Tony Birch


Subject Overview: This subject explores a variety of writers' diaries/journals and autobiographies from various periods and cultures including contemporary Australian examples. Students will read from texts about theoretical approaches, including autobiography as a critique of culture and literary criticism as autobiography. The subject will involve applied writing in workshops including exercises in various styles and approaches to autobiography.
Objectives: students who successfully copmplete this subject will be able to relate their written work to historical developments in life writing and related forms;
devise, draft and develop a writing project with an introduction relating their work to theoretical and historical reading;
demonstrate a wide and close reading of a variety of relevant texts with an emphasis on contemporary writers;
relate their creative work to issues raised in historical, critical and theoretical texts of commentary.
Assessment: An essay of 1000 words which engages with one of the major theoretical considerations within the field of autobiography 20% (due in week 8), a Reading Journal which reflects on weekly class exercises and readings 30% (due during the exam period), and a piece of the student's own autobiographical writing totalling 3000 words 50% (due at the end of semester). Regular attendance and participation in tutorials and workshops is required. Note: Assessment submitted late without an approved formal extension will be penalised at 2% per day. Students who fail to submit up to 2-weeks after the final due date without a formal extension and special consideration will receive a fail grade for the piece of assessment.
Prescribed Texts: None
Recommended Texts: A subject reader will be available.
Breadth Options:

This subject potentially can be taken as a breadth subject component for the following courses:

You should visit learn more about breadth subjects and read the breadth requirements for your degree, and should discuss your choice with your student adviser, before deciding on your subjects.

Fees Information: Subject EFTSL, Level, Discipline & Census Date
Generic Skills: students who successfully complte this subject will access a broad range of resource material, including traditional text and electronic material;
have demonstrated advanced communication skills;
be able to work successfully with peers;
be able to demonstrate the ability and self-confidence to comprehend complex structural and organisational concepts.
Notes: Students whohave underaken this subject at 106-365 arenot eligible to enrol in this subject. This subject can be credited to a major in either the Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Ceative Arts in Creative Writing
Related Course(s): Bachelor of Arts(Media and Communications)
Diploma in Creative Arts
Related Majors/Minors/Specialisations: Creative Writing
Creative Writing Major

Download PDF version.