Electrical Circuits 1

Subject 431-103 (2008)

Note: This is an archived Handbook entry from 2008.Search for this in the current handbook

Credit Points: 12.500
Level: Undergraduate
Dates & Locations:

This subject has the following teaching availabilities in 2008:

Semester 2, - Taught on campus.
Pre-teaching Period Start not applicable
Teaching Period not applicable
Assessment Period End not applicable
Last date to Self-Enrol not applicable
Census Date not applicable
Last date to Withdraw without fail not applicable

Timetable can be viewed here. For information about these dates, click here.
Time Commitment: Contact Hours: Twenty-four hours of lectures, 24 hours of tutorials, 12 hours of laboratory work, web-based study
Total Time Commitment: Not available
Prerequisites: None
Corequisites: None
Recommended Background Knowledge: None
Non Allowed Subjects: None
Core Participation Requirements:

For the purposes of considering request for Reasonable Adjustments under the Disability Standards for Education (Cwth 2005), and Student Support and Engagement Policy, academic requirements for this subject are articulated in the Subject Overview, Learning Outcomes, Assessment and Generic Skills sections of this entry.

It is University policy to take all reasonable steps to minimise the impact of disability upon academic study, and reasonable adjustments will be made to enhance a student's participation in the University's programs. Students who feel their disability may impact on meeting the requirements of this subject are encouraged to discuss this matter with a Faculty Student Adviser and Student Equity and Disability Support: http://services.unimelb.edu.au/disability

Subject Overview:

Students will be introduced to the fundamentals of electrical and electronic engineering. At the completion of the subject students will develop skills in designing and analysing linear circuits comprising electrical and electronic components.

Topics covered: fundamental electrical quantities (current, voltage, power); circuit elements (resistors, voltage and current sources); basic circuit laws (Ohm's law Kirchoff's laws, voltage and current division); analysis of passive networks (using node voltage analysis and superposition); Thevenin and Norton equivalent circuits; capacitators and inductors (characteristics and combination); transient response of first-order circuits (RC and RL); sinusoidal sources (phasor representation); AC impedance and admittance of capacitors and inductors; AC steady state characteristics and analysis of passive RLC networks; mutual inductance and the ideal transformer; basic introduction to the diode and its characteristics; load-line analysis of diode circuits; simple diode circuits (limiter); diode rectification; amplifier concepts (inverting, noninverting, voltage current and power gain); introduction to the ideal opamp and feedback; basic opamp circuits (inverting, non-inverting, follower, summing, integrators and differentiators)

Assessment: Tutorial attendance (5%) and 5 assignments (10% in total) of maximum total length 30 pages, due fortnightly through the semester; laboratory reports from 4 practical classes, (15% in total); and a 3-hour closed book written examination during the end-of-semester examination period (70%).
Prescribed Texts: None
Recommended Texts:

Information Not Available

Breadth Options:

This subject is not available as a breadth subject.

Fees Information: Subject EFTSL, Level, Discipline & Census Date
Generic Skills:
  • ability to apply knowledge of basic science and engineering fundamentals

  • in-depth technical competence in at least one engineering discipline

  • ability to undertake problem identification, formulation and solution

  • ability to utilise a systems approach to design and operational performance

  • understanding of the principles of sustainable design and development

  • understanding of professional and ethical responsibilities and commitment to them

  • expectation of the need to undertake lifelong learning, capacity to do so

  • capacity for independent critical thought, rational inquiry and self-directed learning

Related Course(s): Bachelor of Engineering(Mechanical & Manufacturing) and Bachelor of Laws

Download PDF version.