Note: This is an archived Handbook entry from 2015.
|Dates & Locations:|| |
This subject has the following teaching availabilities in 2015:June, Burnley - Taught on campus.
Timetable can be viewed here. For information about these dates, click here.
|Time Commitment:||Contact Hours: 48 hours comprising lectures (24 hours), practicals/seminars (24 hours). |
Total Time Commitment:
|Recommended Background Knowledge:||None|
|Non Allowed Subjects:||None|
|Core Participation Requirements:||
It is University policy to take all reasonable steps to minimise the impact of disability upon academic study, and reasonable adjustments will be made to enhance a student's participation in the University's programs. This course requires all students to enrol in subjects where they must actively and safely contribute to field excursions and laboratory activities. Students who feel their disability will impact on meeting this requirement are encouraged to discuss this matter with the Subject Coordinator and Disability Liaison http://services.unimelb.edu.au/disability/. Email: email@example.com
CoordinatorDr Denise Johnstone
Graduate School of Science
Phone: 13 MELB (13 6352)
Subject Coordinator: firstname.lastname@example.org
This subject provides students with a thorough understanding of the principles that underpin the assessment and management of trees in urban landscape settings. Students will study the methods used to manage trees in different urban settings such as construction sites and parklands; evaluate and compare methods of tree assessment and tree valuation; compare methods for calculating tree protection zones; diagnose tree health problems and assess tree vitality in urban trees; evaluate and compare methods for the detection of decay in trees and structural defects in trees.
On completion of this subject, students will gain an appreciation of the complexities of tree management for urban sites and be able to demonstrate their understanding of tree assessment, tree valuation methods and a range of tree health problems and their management.
A 15 minute seminar presentation (30%); a written assignment draft of 2000 words (20%); and the final version of the written assignment a further 2000 words in addition to the draft, totalling 4000 words (50%).
|Prescribed Texts:|| |
R W Harris, J R Clark and N P Matheny, Arboriculture: Integrated Management of Landscape Trees Shrubs and Vines. Prentice Hall, 2004.
|Breadth Options:|| |
This subject is not available as a breadth subject.
|Fees Information:||Subject EFTSL, Level, Discipline & Census Date|
This course encompasses particular generic skills. On completion of the course students should be able to:
Graduate Diploma in Urban Horticulture |
Master of Urban Horticulture
Bachelor of Environments (Honours) Landscape Management |
Download PDF version.